Regulation and related issues

Legal support

From the nursing legal experts

The RCN has the largest in-house specialist legal team of any union or professional body in the UK. 

If you need help with work-related problems, or have been referred to your professional body, we have the expertise to advise and represent you. 

RCN Legal Services help members with nearly 2,000 NMC cases a year. Our results show that our members are less likely to be struck off and more likely to receive no sanction. 

Our specialist in-house lawyers also cover all aspects of employment law from unfair dismissals and redundancies to complex reorganisations, whistleblowing, TUPE, equal pay and discrimination cases - and we run cases in both the tribunals and the higher courts.

RCNLaw can support you with a personal injury claim - or perhaps you need advice on Wills and Probate

And, if you need free legal advice on non-work matters, we can help with that too.

So if you have a problem at work, your first step is to seek our help. Explore our comprehensive advicecontact our advice team by email at any time, or call 0345 772 6100 between 8.30am to 8.30pm, 7 days a week. 

Involved in a police matter?

Read our advice if you’ve been asked to attend a police interview due to a work-related incident.

Issue with a criminal records check?

We can help you with problems with Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) or Disclosure Scotland checks. Read more here.

Referred to the NMC?

If you are referred to the NMC for a Fitness to Practise investigation, contact us straight away - we're here to help you. 

Involved in an inquest?

Read our advice if you’ve been asked to attend an inquest or Fatal Accident Inquiry.

Personal injury

As an RCN member, you can apply for assistance with a personal injury claim for compensation. 

Find out how our expert lawyers can assist you. 
money worries

Free legal advice

Your membership gives you access to 30 minutes free legal advice on non-work matters, including family law.  

Apply by completing the short form in MyRCN.
Paper cutout of family and a house

Wills, Probate, Trusts, LPA

Do you need help and advice with writing a Will, Probate, Trusts or Lasting Power of Attorney?

Find out more about how RCN Law can help you. 

Exceptions to legal support and representation

Please note the RCN does not take on the following types of case:

  • libel and slander claims
  • small claims 
  • clinical negligence cases (that you wish to pursue)
  • motoring offences
  • cases in which you were not a member at the time the incident happened.